Two in the bush

IMG_2761

I have finally completed my appliqué for the display at the Waverley Patchworkers Quilt Show. Inspired by the birds who along with possums ate all my fruit, it did not take long to stitch as I had done all the planning weeks ago. The photocopy I made of the challenge fabric was essential for the fussy cutting of the bird shapes. I just used the hole left after cutting out the paper pattern to find the correct part of the print.

The appliqué of the birds was done using a partial stitching and unit construction method I learned in a workshop with Jane Townswick. It meant I could place each element exactly where it needed to go on the fabric. After cutting out the the head and upper wing section I  stitched the seam where it met the body, then ironed on that freezer paper shape and cut it out with seam allowance.  Same for the tail feathers.

I lightly stuffed the fruit and birds while stitching them onto the background. Again the photo of my design proved invaluable in getting the placement just right. After doing an outline stem stitch using a single strand of embroidery thread around the birds and adding details, I hand stipple stitched the whole background.

You can have a sneak peek at other responses to the challenge on the Waverley Patchworkers website.

IMG_2754

 

Advertisements

3 responses to “Two in the bush

  1. Jenni Strachan

    Absolutely stunning, especially with the lace frame.

  2. Excellent use of the challenge fabric. They are an adorable pair of fruit thieves.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s