Monthly Archives: November 2016

A neutral starting position

Mystery, week 1: Not so bad, four patch in neutrals. But wait, there are choices, scrappy, or just two fabrics placed corner to corner. Briefly toyed with the cheater option of just cutting 3 1/2″ squares but that defeats the scrappy intent.img_3967My neutrals divide equally into two camps, light light grey and darker light grey. So I tried a few to see which looked best, two the same in a block, or totally scrappy with a light/darker diagonal opposition.img_3972Prefer four fabrics per unit as seen on the right, don’t you.

There was a bit of a false start to the piecing of these pesky units. Strips cut WOF then divided into four. Organised into the two camps. All set to sew ….. but forgot to do that critical check, what is the state of the bobbin. Unfortunately not good as it ran out after joining just one of the short strip pairs.img_3968Redemption came in the form of a full bobbin already wound, what foresight I must have had the last time I did some piecing.img_3973221 divides neatly into 3, so 77 units made. Step one finished in record time.

The Mystery Monday linkup where you can see lots of other mystery quilts in progress is here


Another mystery

tn_enprovencelogo1I am about to embark on the latest Bonnie Hunter mystery, despite not yet finishing the 2014 or 2015 quilts. Given my past track record my aim is quarter or third size, depending on how the blocks are structured.

It is not long now before the start so I have my fabric and rulers at the ready, and a solid support team in place.

img_3957      img_3963

Let the fun begin!