Mystery, week 1: Not so bad, four patch in neutrals. But wait, there are choices, scrappy, or just two fabrics placed corner to corner. Briefly toyed with the cheater option of just cutting 3 1/2″ squares but that defeats the scrappy intent.My neutrals divide equally into two camps, light light grey and darker light grey. So I tried a few to see which looked best, two the same in a block, or totally scrappy with a light/darker diagonal opposition.Prefer four fabrics per unit as seen on the right, don’t you.
There was a bit of a false start to the piecing of these pesky units. Strips cut WOF then divided into four. Organised into the two camps. All set to sew ….. but forgot to do that critical check, what is the state of the bobbin. Unfortunately not good as it ran out after joining just one of the short strip pairs.Redemption came in the form of a full bobbin already wound, what foresight I must have had the last time I did some piecing.221 divides neatly into 3, so 77 units made. Step one finished in record time.
The Mystery Monday linkup where you can see lots of other mystery quilts in progress is here